Vineyards Surrounding Graves Farm
DuCard Vineyards - 5 minute drive
Our neighbor, just over the hill by five minutes' drive, is the superb boutique vineyard - DuCard.
- This is the vineyard to visit for a tasting, a flight of tastes and aromas, or the whole "Graves Vine Package" - tour, discussion of wine-making, and flights - with local nibbles of charcuterie and cheeses. :: see below for details >
They, too, are on the shoulder of Shenandoah National Park, with the vines lining down over ground that was thirty years ago, one of our orchards - apple trees to Pinot Franc and Chardonnay grapes.
The world changes. Back then our apples went to Europe. DuCard is not there yet as their small batches are picked up by their wine club, us locals, and the two other restaurants they provide. It is a rare set of vintages
Here, in or family-style Farm Restaurant, we now come to focus on their wines, on the LOCAL - just ask Margie, Margaret, Judy or Nancy for a glass. We have their 2018 Chardonnay and 2017 Cabernet Franc by the glass or bottle.
- These folks are stand out as our special partners - with owner Scott and wine-maker Julien and their small dedicated team.
- The vintages are in the French style - Julien is French, after all, while they craft the aging to bring out the tastes of our earth. They call it "terroir".
At the vineyard, the view of the mountains is different from here - more intimate. There are terraces and an indoor cathedral windowed comfy sofa space and bar for tastings with Cora, Marty, Beth, Martha - we know them all. Fine folks. You'll find Beth at the Farm in the autumn, helping us with our Apple Harvest Festival.
Saturday Afternoon Live Music
- most Saturdays, local musician talent from2PM - 5PM.
:: See here for who is playing and other events >
Offerings at the Vineyard -
- The Shenandoah Wine Flights program - $70 for two. Needs to be pre-arranged through our Front Desk or direct to the vineyard. Tel 540-923-4206
- Discussion of wine-making - the vats and the vines - a tour
- Flights of special selections with accompanying local nibbles
- Flights - from $17
- Tasting - from $10 per person for tastings of seven current / new release wines.
- Dog and Young One Super Friendly
- another great place where four leggeds and wee two leggeds can crawl and play. Games for both types.
- Electric car charger for Tesla - just by the tasting room.
DuCard a dog and child friendly vineyard & our neighbor.
A low key, real Madison experience - the tasting room is a log cabin. They are new and building their style and flavor profiles - good folks.
- At 2710 Hebron Valley Road - in our larger valley back towards Madison
- Call to see if they are open for tastings and drop in - 540 4071236
Prince Michel Vineyards and new a Brewery - 20 minute drive
Prince Michel generally makes a sweeter character wine. Located just 20 mins away on Rt 29, they offer a pleasant tasting experience.
Early Mountain Vineyard - 25 minute drive
These folks are more focused on luxury weddings and producing wine on contract for smaller vineyards. Their own vintages are served at the large and "elegant" tasting and wedding event space. Located 5 miles past Madison on Route 230 towards Wolftown, VA
Useful source for locating the many other local vineyards- from Front Royal down to Charlottesvile, there are over thirty wine-makers.