Trips and Things to do in The Area
Art, Pottery, Jewelry, Crafts, music and community nights
And a wood stove to which, one is called to cozy up.
Possum’s Store n Criglersville – art gallery and music venue
- Possum’s Store – Just down the road toward Madison in our neighboring hamlet, Criglersville, an old country store renovated in 2019 with care and craft by Renee and Jim.
- Renee is an artist and art teacher – oil and wood sculpture on display on the store.
- Jim is a drummer (and materials physics professor at UVA). He brings his friends in monthly for a music evening 6-8PM.Not to be missed.
The Vineyards Nearby to Tour and Taste
– one exceptional one is right over the hill, 5 mins away
DuCard Vineyards – 5 minute drive
Our neighbor, just over the hill by five minutes’ drive, is the superb boutique vineyard – DuCard.
- This is the vineyard to visit for a tasting, a flight of tastes and aromas, or the whole “Graves Vine Package” – tour, discussion of wine-making, and flights – with local nibbles of charcuterie and cheeses. :: see below for details >
They, too, are on the shoulder of Shenandoah National Park, with the vines lining down over ground that was thirty years ago, one of our orchards – apple trees to Pinot Franc and Chardonnay grapes.
The world changes. Back then our apples went to Europe. DuCard is not there yet as their small batches are picked up by their wine club, us locals, and the two other restaurants they provide. It is a rare set of vintages
Here, in or family-style Farm Restaurant, we now come to focus on their wines, on the LOCAL – just ask Margie, Margaret, Judy or Nancy for a glass. We have their 2018 Chardonnay and 2017 Cabernet Franc by the glass or bottle.
- These folks are stand out as our special partners – with owner Scott and wine-maker Julien and their small dedicated team.
- The vintages are in the French style – Julien is French, after all, while they craft the aging to bring out the tastes of our earth. They call it “terroir”.
At the vineyard, the view of the mountains is different from here – more intimate. There are terraces and an indoor cathedral windowed comfy sofa space and bar for tastings with Cora, Marty, Beth, Martha – we know them all. Fine folks. You’ll find Beth at the Farm in the autumn, helping us with our Apple Harvest Festival.
Saturday Afternoon Live Music
– most Saturdays, local musician talent from2PM – 5PM.
:: See here for who is playing and other events > https://ducardvineyards.com/events/
Offerings at the Vineyard –
- The Shenandoah Wine Flights program – $70 for two. Needs to be pre-arranged through our Front Desk or direct to the vineyard. Tel 540-923-4206
- Discussion of wine-making – the vats and the vines – a tour
- Flights of special selections with accompanying local nibbles
- Flights – from $17
- Tasting – from $10 per person for tastings of seven current / new release wines.
- Dog and Young One Super Friendly
– another great place where four leggeds and wee two leggeds can crawl and play. Games for both types.
The trip to DuCard
A low key, real Madison experience – the tasting room is a log cabin. They are new and building their style and flavor profiles – good folks.
- At 2710 Hebron Valley Road – in our larger valley back towards Madison
- Call to see if they are open for tastings and drop in – 540 4071236
Prince Michel generally makes a sweeter character wine. Located just 20 mins away on Rt 29, they offer a pleasant tasting experience.
Early Mountain Vineyard – 25 minute drive
These folks are more focused on luxury weddings and producing wine on contract for smaller vineyards. Their own vintages are served at the large and “elegant” tasting and wedding event space. Located 5 mikes past Madison on Route 230 towards Wolftown, VA
Virginia Wines Guide – Useful source for locating the many other local vineyards- from Front Royal down to Charlottesvile, there are over thirty wine-makers.
Madison Chamber of Commerce website with more links of places to visit.
Hebron Lutheran Church
Oldest Lutheran church in continuous use in the United States. Close by near Madison (15-minute drive). Open by appointment.
Yoder’s Country Market
You will find a cozy, down-home atmosphere, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The aroma of homemade soups and fresh baked breads (made from scratch with no preservatives) add to the warm atmosphere. The shelves are filled with dried fruits, nuts, natural snacks, baking supplies, etc. – all hand packed in clear plastic bags. (15 minute drive)
Clore Furniture Factory – (15 minute drive)
Since 1830, E. A. Clore Sons, Inc. has specialized in expertly handcrafted early American furniture that remains treasured for many years to come. From exact mortise-and-tenon construction and precision dove tailed drawers, to air-seasoned hardwoods and rich, hand-rubbed lacquer finishes, our commitment to age-old woodworking techniques and distinctive designs comes through every piece of well-built Clore furniture we produce. Located in Madison, VA.
The Virginia Piedmont – links covering Madison, Orange, Culpeper, Fauquier, Rappahanock
Guide to places of interest in Rappahannock County, including Sperryville.
Town of Sperryville – novelty shops and antiques on the way to Luray Caverns and the Skyline Drive (25 minutes drive).
A lovely ride along the Blue Ridge (30 minutes from the lodge).
Tours available throughout the caves carillon concert and antique auto museum (1 hour drive).
Picturesque towns, antiques, hikes, canoeing, bike trails and the caverns are available here. Civil war history is preserved at the New Market Battle Field and Museum ( 1 ½ hour drive).
Chamber of Commerce for Culpeper with related links.
Home of President Thomas Jefferson, a few minutes south of Charlottesville and the University of Virginia (1 hour 15 minute drive).
Greene County Chamber of Commerce with related links.
Home of President James Madison, four miles south of Orange, VA (45 minute drive).
The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Gettysburg to Monticello – links of sites located in the Hallowed Ground for Madison
Civil War Battlefields
Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg National Military Park and museum (1 hour and 15 minute drive).